I find that I know many who engage in communication that is not always effective! I had a professor in a previous class who was a competent communicator. Despite the fact that our learning environment is such that we never physically meet, she made me feel as if we were in the same room. Her consistent feedback on my assignments was positive while offering me suggestions for professional growth. Comments that she made in response to my discussion boards and applications were thought-provoking and allowed me to reflect upon my own learning processes. At one point in the class, the professor shared a personal experience with me that allowed me to address a bias that I was holding on to. I realize it is not always appropriate for instructors to share personal information but I believe our experiences shape who we are and can be used as teachable moments as this instructor did.
I am an adjunct faculty member at my local community college. The communication techniques used by my instructor will be valuable to me as I continue to strengthen my own teaching style. Specifically, her ability to ask questions that encourage reflection and introspection is a practice I hope to improve upon. Additionally, the instructor was able to make me feel as though I was an important member of the learning community without me even realizing it was happening! I hope that I can be as effective with my students as she was!
Teri,
ReplyDeleteIt is great that you felt that way with a Professor from one the online classes. I find myself struggling with the communication piece with our online classes and sometimes it makes me feel disconnected. Thanks for sharing your success story! :)
Abby
Teri,
ReplyDeleteI know it really felt good to have a Professor who you could connect with like you did. When you have a Professor to make you feel like a part of the learning community, a person can't help but to think of her as an effective communicator.
Thanks for sharing!
Tracey