Saturday, March 10, 2012

Communication Skills: Language, Nonverbal, Listening

I chose to watch “Big Bang Theory”, a sitcom I have never watched before.  Watching the show in silence did not help me figure out what it is really about.  Featuring four males who appear to be close friends, this particular episode revolved around what seemed to be some kind of time machine.  I was able to determine that two of the men are roommates.  Their body language seems to indicate a level of comfort I would attribute to long-term friendships.  Their body language indicated interest in each other as they share excitement and handshaking around a computer.  At one point, they are trying to move a machine up a flight of stairs with two men at the bottom and two at the top. When a neighboring female comes into the hallway, the men at the top let go of the machine and look as if they are infatuated with the female.  After watching the episode silently, I really only know that the men are good friends and two of them seem to have a crush on a female.

After watching the episode with the volume on, my interpretations make sense but they were definitely lacking any deep understanding.  I missed the sarcasm they throw back and forth at each other.  I also missed the female collectively putting them down.  The men are best friends who are comfortable harassing each other but their body language showed that they did not like it when the female did the same thing.  When watching with volume, I was able to make sense of how close the relationship between the roommates was as they each responded to nightmares they had. 

I absolutely think my assumptions would have been more correct if “Big Bang Theory” was a show I watched routinely.  I would have already understood the relationships between the characters so it would not have surprised me to see them giving each other a hard time in ways that, to a non-viewer, might seem marginalizing.  In this situation, the characters were able to laugh at themselves and did not seem to feel marginalized except when the female put them all down.  This experience works to remind me that we cannot interpret a situation in one dimension.  We need a three dimensional view in order to make sense of others’ actions.

3 comments:

  1. It is really interesting to read your post. I watch this shows maybe once a week. I think that it would be really hard to read Sheldon's body language, as he has a hard time taking perspectives and breaking out of routine. Thanks for your post!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this show but i have never watched it but reading most of the post the importance of listening was emphasized for me. I see why it is important for us to be active listeners as educators in our dealings with children, families and our colleagues because it will make us more effective in what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is amazing how we interupt things with and without volume and it make a big difference that is why you have to look at non verbal cues as if they are actually saying something because this will help us be a effective communicator and good listern thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete