If I think about the roles of the people I interact with at our conference, I recognize that I treated folks differently too. For example, my conversations with our presenters were more formal and business like whereas, the attendees were looking for hugs and hellos! I was much more tense with the staff at the facility were using, certainly, there was a lot riding in everything going smoothly behind the scenes. Overall, I would say these types of interactions are similar to those I have every day on a much larger scale.
One strategy that I attempt to practice every day is to “be present”. By this I mean to be attentive to what others say, both verbally and nonverbally. To be present is to be an active participant in all conversations. A second strategy is to be aware of my nonverbal cues and how they influence my interactions with others. A final strategy is to approach all opportunities to communicate as learning opportunities. We all have something to learn from each other but sometimes, I think I am too focused on my own needs to be as open-minded as I should be. In general, I am learning so much about myself and am beginning to see where I need more information or training!
Click here to read the article our local newspaper published about the conference!
Click here to read the article our local newspaper published about the conference!
Being "present" or attentive in every interaction/situation is vital skill to possess in effective communication. Understanding nonverbal cues can also be beneficial in how you interact and engage within a particular context. Insightful post, thanks!
ReplyDeleteTeri,
ReplyDeleteThe ways that you communicated with each party invovled with your conference shows that you really take the time to determine how best to meet each person's needs. This is an important quality for an effective communicator. Congratulations on the success of your conference!
Patricia
Teri,
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with the other ladies as well as yourself about being present. Being present is an active participant in every conversation; this is something that I will take heed to and do more of. Very interesting blog you have here and I really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks.
Tracey