Friday, February 17, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World

My family’s country of origin is from Southern Italy, a country with a rich history and strong family connections.  In order to prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this new family, I will need to study the culture, values and beliefs inherent to Southern Italy.  My research will tell me that extended family is very important.  Knowing this will help me to be responsive to all members of the family.  In order to understand the deeper culture of Italian families, I will reach out to the Italian community in my area.  In addition, having connections to the Italian community will allow me to offer the new family some familiarity that may make them feel more comfortable in strange surroundings. 

In order to provide as smooth a transition as possible, I will communicate with my staff and encourage them to learn as much as possible about the family and their culture.  I work together with my employees to address any discomfort or trepidation they may be experiencing.  I will encourage my teachers to ask questions, open to learning about our new family and active in building a strong partnership with the parents.  Keeping the lines of communication open is critically important in serving all children and families. 

Prior to their arrival, the teachers and I will prepare the currently enrolled children for the arrival of their new friend by learning about Italy and talking about helping him or her learn their way around the program.   Once the family arrives, I will encourage them to spend time in our program getting to know the teachers, children and other families.  My staff and I will be responsive to the family’s needs by asking them to share their expectations of our program and what they want for their child.  I will assure that parents that we have an open-door policy and to let us know if there is anything we can do to support their transition. 

I believe that every family provides us with an opportunity to learn and grow.  Preparing for this family is similar to preparing for any family in that we should all be working to truly know the families we serve.  Engaging in these activities will help us to accomplish this together.  Providing the foundation for a mutually respectful relationship in which the child will thrive is of the upmost importance.

2 comments:

  1. Teri:
    It seams that you would "like to work with firm boots." Stand up and support the families that come from Italy "as well". I think we can work it out for any cultures. We have earn a high percent of information to work with bias, -ism and issues related to diversity. Congratulations your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri,
    Great post! I like that you would invite the family in to spend time in your center. What a wonderful way to help them feel comfortable. I also love that you would talk to the children ahead of time. I bet they would love to help the new child feel welcome.

    ReplyDelete