Gaining perspective on my own views of culture and diversity has enabled me to be more open to the views of others. This week, I asked people in my life to offer their definitions of culture and diversity. I chose to ask three specific people for their thoughts and then I posted the question on my facebook page to see what others thought. Completing the assignment in this manner has been a lesson in diversity in and of itself.
An acquaintance who lives in a small, English Village offered this response: Culture is traits, behaviors and beliefs that define a group; such as in a country where the people share certain traditions. Cultures can even be broken down to smaller degrees such as to counties or villages within the larger culture. These I would call subcultures. For example, the town I live at in the UK may share the common culture of the country, but also has its own traditions and traits that are specific to it and not shared with villages or the rest of the country around it. Diversity is to embrace people or cultures in a way where you celebrate the differences of that culture and the way they can enrich you in a positive way. An example being, I embrace my Turkish wife's culture and differences in a positive manner and my own western style of culture is enriched by doing so.
My Mother, a military wife and retired early childhood professional had this to say: I think of culture w/ a couple definitions 1) being born into a certain ethnic, social or religious group; 2) can also so be learned behavior thru education. Culture in these groups is usually passed down from one generation to the next and becomes family history; a way of life. When I think of diversity I think of one’s choice to be different within their peer group, family or society; achieved through verbal expression (opinions), deviation from parental values (upbringing), dress, daily living habits, to express one’s self as an individual; a change in their way of life (choice to be me, myself and I) that may deviate from what may or could be considered the “norm”.
By best friend who is retired from the Air Force focused on her military culture: As for my definition of culture: I would have to say it comes from my experience in the military; travelling the world has exposed me to many cultures, which has proven to me how grateful I am for the simple things in life, like a flushing toilet to sit on. I will never forget the first time I went to Turkey and had to use the bathroom, which consisted of squatting over a hole in the floor. As for diversity, I would say that also comes from my military background. Having travelled the world, I would say there is much diversity between the cultures I have experienced overseas versus what's in the United States. This includes everything from the way we dress, to the money we use, the food we eat, and the simple pleasures (like the flushing toilet) we enjoy here and take for granted.
An early childhood educator with many years in the field shared her thoughts: I think culture and diversity is rooted more in family than in ethnicity. That's a very small part of it. Every family has its own culture and its own way of being. This is where the child derives meaning and identity. The family is influenced by many factors: race, religion, society, neighborhood which then influences the child. Diversity arises as children realize their own identity. That diversity then influences the family and society. It's a big, huge circle of influence!
A former student working in early childhood and adopted from South Korea added her perspective: Culture is the development of individuals within intellectual and moral values. Most people are raised and brought up into a specific culture. My interpretation of culture involves beliefs, knowledge, interaction and point of views of those who have a connection. I am still unsure where I fit in the way of culture is because my family that I grew up with is not my nationality. But at the same time culture does not have to do with nationality or ethnicity. My personal interpretation with culture in my life revolves around my faith and by living in faith I will be who I was created to be one day. Diversity has more to do with points of view recognizing the differences within certain groups, whether it be nationality, looks, height, etc. I was born in South Korea and was adopted. My brother was born is South Korea and was adopted as well. The both of us have dealt with many insults and the most unpleasant comments all through our lives. Culture and Diversity go hand in hand with one another.
A colleague and mother of a child with Asperger’s Syndrome focused on stigmatized identities: Children with neurological delays and conditions are treated different and sometimes they are bullied not just by other peers but also by teachers and others in the community. Being a parent of a neuro-diverse child I am treated different as well, in many neuro-typical situations.
Each of these individual holds a place in my life, professionally or personally, and each has demonstrated the complexities involved in fully understanding culture and diversity. To understand their definitions is to get a glimpse into who they are as individuals and members of the human race. Evident in the definitions are social identities, beliefs, values, spirituality and stereotypes. Several have alluded to the presence of a dominant culture and you can see how this has influenced them. Two discussed stigmatized social identities related to being adopted and raising a child with special needs. Throughout the definitions, I can see examples of the concepts we have covered thus far in this course.
At the same time, I recognize a stronger articulation of surface culture than of deep culture. This speaks to some of our discussions related to a failure to go beyond the obvious to understand people as they truly are. Janet Gonzalez-Mena’s analogy of the iceberg came to mind several times as I read the definitions (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). At the same time, I can see the concentric circles of Brofenbrenner’s bio-ecological model as referenced in our discussions this week. Not everyone recognizes what they cannot see and this is evidenced in the definitions.
My own thoughts about culture and diversity are sharpened because of the responses these individuals were willing to provide. I am motivated to gain a richer and deeper understanding of how my own culture and diversity show the world who I am. I have chosen to be me, myself and I (as my mother stated), my further understanding will enable me to recognize how I influence others and how they influence me. As one person stated, “it is a big, huge circle of influence” and this is what truly makes the world go ‘round!
Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Culture and diversity. Perspectives on Diversity and Equity [DVD]. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Teri:
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that you chose to share the responses from those in other countries as well as a family of a child with special needs. You provided us an opportunity to learn from others beyond our own little worlds. At the same time, you opened us to experiences beyond skin color and ethnicity.
Thank you,
LouAnn
I posted my question on facebook as well and got numerous responses. This gave many of the people who responded time to think about the question and then answer. Even with knowing the question ahead of time, the answers were surface level at best. A friend of mine is a professor of sociology and her answer was a little deeper but more theory based and not really on a personal level. During my discussions a couple of people were really inspired to look at the deeper culture after realizing how much it impacts us and our interpretations of the world around us. I found that very exciting and inspiring!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing a variety of responses including the mother of a child with special needs.