Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Family Culture: Coping with Catastrophe

There are many things I wish I could take with me and it is a challenge to select three items.  After thinking long and hard, the three items I would take are my wedding rings, my father’s dog tags and a CD.  My wedding rings symbolize the creation of my immediate family and the bond between me and my husband.  My father’s dog tags represent his commitment to the United States and to the Air Force.  For me, they are the symbols of sacrifice and freedom.  Additionally, they are symbols of my life and experiences as a military child.  Dad’s dog tags bring me comfort and peace and would help me to cope with the trauma of losing my home, friends and livelihood. 

The final item I would bring is a CD.  Now this is no ordinary CD, it is one I created after 9/11 and Katrina (and continue to update) in the event that I or my family would ever be impacted by a disaster.  I recognize that I might not have access to what is on the CD for sometime after experiencing the chaos brought on by a disaster.  However, it contains everything I need to get a new start.  The CD contains sentimental items:  photos of my family’s choosing that depict births, weddings, family events, historical moments and our daily lives.  The CD also contains scanned copies of all of our important personal documents:  social security cards, driver’s licenses, account numbers, medical information, birth certificates and insurance information.  After witnessing the events of 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, I became (almost) obsessed with making sure we could identify ourselves in the face of disaster; this CD makes that possible.  Sure, access to technology will be limited in the aftermath of a disaster having our identity established will make the transition to our new normal a little easier.

As you can probably imagine, the CD is the item I would take with me if I had to choose only one item of my original three.  I suppose this is where I should tell you that I am a Red Cross disaster response volunteer and I teach disaster preparation to the general public and agencies in my community.  9/11 and Hurricane Katrina motivated me to get involved in disaster response.  One thing that I teach people is to have all of their documents in one place in the event they need to re-establish their identity.  For insurance purposes, there is a photo of my wedding rings on the CD.  Several years ago, I made a photo collage of my father so his dog tags are also captured in pictures.  I am incredibly sentimental, it would be difficult to leave everything behind and cope with the tragic loss a catastrophe brings.  However, I am practical to a fault and the CD allows me to be both practical and sentimental.

What all this says about my family culture is that we value each other and our identity in general.  I have no desire to be in a position where no one knows who the members of my family are.  We are strong and know that we could depend upon each other in a time of crisis.  We might not have any material goods but we would certainly have each other and be able to prove who we are!

4 comments:

  1. I applaud your preparedness! I recently bought a safe for myself and for my parents. I still live home with my parents so I don't have a ton of important paperwork but I do have insurance paperwork, teaching certificates, social security card, passport, etc., that I would like to have in a safe place in case of a natural disaster. I am inspired to make a CD like you have made with purposeful as well as sentimental items.

    Thank you for sharing and inspiring me!

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri,
    As difficult as it would be to lose all of our possessions, it would be most important that we had our families to remain a part of our lives. I found the I found the CD to be a very interesting idea, I will definitely start doing it.
    I enjoyed reading yourpost, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a water proof and fire proof safe in the house that holds all of our important items, however, I really like the CD idea as well as backing that information up in "the cloud" Are there any other disaster preparedness resources you could point me to? We had a tornado come through our area last year 1/2 mile from our house. We have a small farm so there are many animals that rely on us for food, water etc. There are also many that provide for us, but we still have to take care of them for that to happen. We were also in two hurricanes that we lived through when we lived in Pensacola. We had minimal damage to our house but our neighbors were not so lucky. It is scary stuff and you have to be prepared ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds more that experiences have shown you how to be preparer. From my personal aspect you are a courageous woman, and I hope you keep this aspect of your own to encourage others be alike.

    ReplyDelete