Sunday, December 18, 2011

When I think of research...

As a result of this course, I have learned that research is much more complex than I ever thought.   Gaining an understanding of quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods research has been valuable, especially as it relates to my research simulation.  Most importantly, I have gained insight into the processes involved in each type of research. 

In terms of my ideas about the nature of research, I have a much stronger understanding of the steps a researcher must take before they even begin their study.  Among the most important is that of informed consent for both adults and children.  While I completely agree with its importance, I continue to struggle with consent for children.  Working with children presents unique joys and the answers to one question lead to additional questions which benefit everyone.  However, I continue to question the plausibility of informed consent with very young children; it is possible parents would consent to something that isn’t in the best interests of the child.  I recognize that researchers take many measures to prevent this but I am not sure that’s possible in every situation.

Research is a very involved process; much more than I ever knew!  I choose to look at it as a series of stages in which every detail of the study is defined.  Each stage leads the researcher closer to having data to analyze.  Of all the information we learned, I was most interested in research validity.  I think triangulation will be what I am able to recollect the easiest as it made the most sense to me.   I had never heard this term before and I find it impressive that researchers take so many measures to ensure their research is both valid and valued.

I found myself challenged by the textbook; I suppose it was because of the unfamiliar terminology.  My solution was to read and re-read the assignments.  I often found myself looking up words I did not know.  Completing the application chart each week definitely helped me to better understand the material.  Reading the discussion board postings also helped me to comprehend the information in a more meaningful way.

I don’t think my perceptions of early childhood professionals have changed.  I have always recognized that ours is a very diverse field that includes individuals with different positions.  From cooks and bus drivers, teachers and administrators to early intervention, parent and teacher educators and researchers, each and every one of us is essential to the success of children and families!

For my fellow students, we’re halfway there!!!  Thank you for the support and feedback during this class.  Happy Holidays and I’ll see you in the next class!

4 comments:

  1. Teri,

    I found triangulation to be a very visual concept that I will be able to recall the easiest as well. Also, I think that having to define terms and complete reflection questions from the textbook was a great help. It made me think deeply about the information that I read instead of just reading for the sake of reading.

    Congratulations on making it half way! I'm excited that the end is in sight! Happy holidays!

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri:

    I also found the process of triangulation interesting. I can now see how using different sources, methods, and data can help strengthen data collected.

    I wish you happy holidays as well. I was just thinking today that I was finishing my entrance essay this time last year. Now, I am halfway through this journey. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. I am so glad to be going through it with you.

    LouAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri,

    Once again like I always tell you it is always a pleasure reading your post. I will say that one thing that I learn from this course was class support and professor support. I will take advantage of my resources and use my classmates more to help me with my assignements for my future courses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri:
    I hope this course allowed you to maintain in the bank of your knowledge for your future needs as a professional.

    ReplyDelete