Saturday, December 3, 2011

Research Around the World

In reviewing the Early Childhood Australia website, I found a wide variety of resources that address issues important to professionals, parents and other interested parties.  I find it interesting to see that other countries address issues similar to those of the United States.  Specifically, I located articles about the importance of play, quality in early childhood and best practices.  Australia is made up of people from many different cultures, much like the U.S.  I located several articles relating to the study and support of the indigenous population.  While the cultures of the two countries may be different, both have native populations and it is important to understand their cultures, languages and needs in terms of education. 

I reviewed the position statements on the Early Childhood Australia website.  Whereas the position statements we are familiar with tend to focus on specific issues such as ethical conduct, cultural diversity and other topics, these statements are much more broad.  For example, I located a position statement entitled, Children of Asylum Seekers, Children of Refugees and Children in Detention.  The statement addresses the treatment of children whose families arrive in Australia by either legal or illegal means.  It addresses the details of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.  Even more interesting is the position statement entitled, A statement of regret and commitment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families.  The document is an apology to the indigenous peoples of Australia and a commitment to improve services to their children and families.  I found this to be a fascinating document.

Lastly, I read the Code of Ethics with the intention of comparing to the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct.
“The following values and processes are considered central to the Code of Ethics: respect, democracy, honesty, integrity, justice, courage, inclusivity, social responsiveness, cultural responsiveness, education” (Early Childhood Australia, 2006, p. 1).  I was especially impressed by the inclusion of ethical practice for responding to student practitioners entering the early childhood field, considering oneself as a professional and a commitment to research in practice.  NAEYC has included these areas in their Code, or in supplemental documents, as well.  Certainly, there are differences and similarities between the two codes.   


Early Childhood Australia. (2009). Code of Ethics. Retrieved December 3, 2011, from http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/pdf/code_of_ethics/code_of_ethics_%20brochure_screenweb_2010.pdf: http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/


2 comments:

  1. Teri:
    Seams to be like most of us made a smartest choice!

    This website is very variety and have a lot of valuable information. I post in my blog all the journal of this year for the benefits of all. It's very interesting and easy to search. It looks that you enjoy it as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri:

    I know you are focusing your research simulation on teacher preparation. I saw some titles of research articles on pre-service and professional development of teachers. You can find them under the tab Australasian Journal of Early Childhood. You will only be able to read the abstract on their website. However, you can access them through our Walden Library. Search by the journal title on the library's home page, first. Then, you can click on Academic Search Complete and find the journal issues you need.

    LouAnn

    ReplyDelete