Research literally changes lives! I consider the differences in the early childhood field over the course of my career. So much more is known about how to meet the developmental needs of all children than was known in my early years in the classroom. Because of the commitment of researchers, we have an understanding of how the brain develops which enables us to provide quality and appropriate experiences for children. We have learned about disabilities and disorders, seen medical break throughs and are much more accepting of people as a result of research!
A specific area in which research has impacted my family has been in the area of understanding Sensory Processing Disorder, also known as Sensory Integration or Sensory Deprivation Disorder. We are just beginning to understand that individuals experience sensory issues that impact their daily lives and interactions. My daughter was diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder at the age of six and has been on an IEP since that time. Auditory Processing involves a person’s ability to process information in a logical manner and many people struggle with transferring information from short-term to long-term memory. You can imagine how this impacted my daughter’s ability to learn to read and do simple math! Initially, she received specialized instruction, occupational therapy and speech therapy. Today, she is fifteen and has modifications that allow her to be successful in school. Research has played a significant role in my understanding of her disorder and has enabled me to be a better parent to her. It has helped me explain her needs to teachers and lay people and has given me the backing I sometimes need to ensure that she receives the best possible educational interventions. I have relied on others who have expertise in this area to guide me and my daughter.
It has not always been an easy road but many others have larger struggles than we do. Without research, children with sensory disorders would probably be classified as behavior problems. My daughter was often called out for behavioral issues that we now know were related to noise; she cannot function well when there is a lot of background noise and this was often reflected in her behavior. I have learned that we all have sensory issues but most of us are able to compensate for them. For some children, certain smells, tastes, noises or movements are so distracting that they cannot attend to other matters when their senses are on overload. Other children are impacted in the reverse; they need the noises, movements or smells to get through their day. Research into this area resulted in improved therapies and techniques for people with this diagnosis. As a mother, I frequently read information published by the Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation (http://www.sinetwork.org/index.html). This organization has provided me with information that I have shared with teachers and caregivers over the years. In addition, I rely heavily on an occupational therapist with expertise in Sensory Processing to answer my questions or calm my fears. My daughter calls herself quirky which is certainly better than what some have called her over the years! Without people committed to understanding this disorder and related disorders, I would still be trying to understand my daughter’s quirkiness!
The link below contains an excellent handout that helps people really understand Sensory Processing Disorders from the child's perspective:
Teri:
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the story of your daughter and family. I attended a session at the Ohio AEYC conference several years ago, facilitated by Christy Isbell. She is an occupational therapist and has written books on this subject. I learned that research has shown us children without autism can also experience issues with sensory integration. It is extremely helpful in understanding possible behavior challenges.
LouAnn