I started my early childhood career more than 20 years ago. At that time, directly working with children was my main focus. Today, I no longer work with children but I do work with teachers and administrators who are serving children in their homes, preschools, child care facilities and afterschool programs. As I have become more involved in providing training, professional development and teaching associate degree students, my passions have evolved. I have chosen to focus my research simulation on the impact training and professional development has on early childhood professionals. Ohio’s teachers need only to have a GED or high school diploma to work with young children. We do have a quality improvement system (Step Up to Quality) that has increased educational requirements. However, many programs have not pursued Step Up to Quality at this point.
My interest is specifically focused on helping me to understand the varying needs of teachers depending upon their experience as novice, experienced or accomplished professionals. I would like to understand what teachers perceive as the benefit of training and if their perception changes over time in the field. Additionally, I would like to have a stronger understanding of what they need in terms of topics and type of training.
So far, the simulation has been a positive experience. The resources we have been introduced to are helping me to evaluate what I find online. Additionally, I feel more confident in my ability to read and understand what I am reading. As we continue to work on our individual topics, I would appreciate any articles or websites others have encountered that might be helpful in working through my topic. Likewise, if you have any suggestions on ways I can refine my area of interest, please let me know. I am a little concerned that I’m going to have a hard time finding research that has already been conducted. I hope to find my worrying is pointless. I will keep my eyes open for information that might relate to your topics and will pass on any relevant resources!
Wow! What a great topic! I find myself stunned already to learn that in Ohio, professionals only need a GED of high school diploma to work with children. This shocked me because in New Jersey, people need at least 60 college credits. Granted, the credits could be in any field of study, these people have already started their higher education process.
ReplyDeleteIn my district in particular, professional development for teachers is HUGE! Which is great. There are endless possibilities for teachers to learn. Each year we must earn at least 20 hours of professional development hours and most teachers soar over the 20 hour requirement. (So far this school year I already have 45 hours).
If I come across any articles pertaining to your topic for this research simulation I will pass the information along.
Best of luck.
Caitlyn
Dear Teri:
ReplyDeleteKnowing that you have a lot of experience in Early Childhood field I want to congratulate you! "I can say that you where born to do this, God Bless you."
I am happy you had found the simulation a positive experience so do I, because in the past I always knew about the importance of a research and panic about it. Today in what I have been working, I found the simulation and charts easy to work and understand it.
Teri:
ReplyDeleteBeing from Ohio, I know that looking at the needs of the teachers in respect to their level of experience would be vary beneficial. As you know, we have talked about the need for community-based organizations to offer tiered training. We have seen that we tend to only create training at the lower level of our state core competencies and knowledge. At the same time, I sometimes we have come to decide training needs based on requirements for licensing or quality initiatives and not on the real professional development needs of the teacher. So, I think it is important to evaluate their perception of the training. I will be very interested in hearing what you learn.
LouAnn Rhodes
I am doing research on the standards and requirements for the state of Kansas' early childhood education. I am finding requirements that I know are not being followed which makes me sad. The requirements are good but no good when not followed.
ReplyDeleteTeri,
ReplyDeleteYou already know that I am your number #1 follower. Great topic,I really think people who are working with our children should have a least a type of class certifcation to show that they know the basic knowledge to understand our children.