Thursday, October 6, 2011

Getting to Know Your International Contacts (Part 2)

 Getting to Know International Contacts (Part 2)
Two weeks ago, I wrote about Delfena Mitchell’s podcast regarding Liberty Children’s Home in Belize, Central America.  Liberty Children’s Home shelters 42 children who have suffered maltreatment.  After viewing the podcast, I contacted Ms. Mitchell.  This week, I received an e-mail from her that contained several links to reports and information regarding poverty and education in Belize. 

Specific to poverty:  25.3% of households, 33% of individuals are living in poverty.  27.6% of all youth also live in poverty. (REPORT #466 Poverty Assessment Report, Belize, 2002, p. 1).  There are numerous rural and outlying areas in Belize in which the poverty rates are much higher.

Specific to equity and excellence in early childhood, Ms. Mitchell shared the Ministry of Education Action Plan 2005-2010.  The plan was developed during a National Education Summit.  Interestingly, the areas of focus determined by this workgroup echo the issues we have in the U.S.  Eight key areas were designated:

1.       Early Childhood Education and Development

2.      Teacher training

3.      Adult and continuing education

4.      Curriculum and assessment

5.      Technical and vocational education

6.      Special Education

7.      Higher Education

8.      Policy Development

The report states, “there is urgent need to increase access opportunities and quality at this critical stage of children’s development” (Ministry of Education, 2010, p. 1).  The report describes a rationale for each area of focus which is followed by an action plan. The Early Childhood Education and Development has as main goals, attachment of preschools to primary schools, teacher compensation, training and certification of teachers and the establishment of an Early Childhood Education and Development Center.  These are all topics covered in detail in this week’s readings. 

I find it pretty fascinating to get a glimpse into Belize’s early childhood education system.  It is strangely validating to know that other countries are experiences some of the same challenges as the U.S.  I appreciate Ms. Mitchell’s willingness to share resources that provide me with insight into global early childhood issues.   

Kairie Consultants, Ltd. (2002). Report #466 March 2002 Poverty Assessment Report. Retrieved October 4, 2011, from http://belize1.com/BzLibrary/trust466.htm
Ministry of Education. (2010). Ministry of Education Action Plan 2005-2010. Retrieved October 2, 2011, from http://planipolis.iiep.unesco.org/upload/Belize/Belize%20MoE%20Action%20Plan%202005-2010Final.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Hi Teri:

    It is very interesting to see that they are also working on tying early childhood to primary education. School readiness and continuity of education must be an issue for many countries. It seems we have a revolution around the world and not just in the United States. I was thinking learning about all of these global viewpoints, it would be fascinating if we could someday attend the World Forum. (I can dream, can't I?)

    LouAnn Rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teri. I liked your post. I don't think of teacher education and creating opportunities for children when I think of Belize. I think of clean running water and disease prevention. I am so close minded when it comes to the rest of the world and even our own country. I feel like making an impact in my community is about as much as I would be able to do. Being exposed to these websites and information like what you presented certainly opens up a lot of possibilities for more.

    I like your blog. It is so organized.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete