The National Association of Early Childhood Educators (NAECTE) has several articles published in the Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education that compare the beliefs of preservice and inservice teachers. My own professional development currently revolves around improving my teaching and presentation skills. How can I help students to increase their knowledge of the value of play or the importance of developmentally appropriate practice, or what inclusive practice really is? Reviewing these articles helps me to gain insight into the ideas preservice students enter the classroom with.
Sherwood & Reifel (2010) state, “the diverse use of play in the classroom may arise, in part, from the tension between the gradually diminishing focus on play in early childhood classrooms on the one hand and the intrinsic value given to play by early childhood education stakeholders on the other” (p. 336). The importance and value of play has been a recurring theme across our studies; one that I completely support. This statement helps me to respect both sides of the argument. Sherwood and Reifel’s article documents their study of how preservice teachers view play. In my role as an instructor, I can effect change and engage my students in learning that influences their beliefs about the importance of play.
I did not locate specific information relating to the support of economists, neuroscientists, or politicians. However, I did find a journal article addressing the need to raise educational requirements for infant toddler teachers. The paper refers to the Obama-Biden Zero-to-Five plan (2009) that recommends having highly qualified teachers in all early childhood classrooms. “Given how few teachers in infant/toddler classrooms currently have college degrees, meeting this demand could strain early childhood teacher education programs” (Norris, 2010, p. 147). We know that outcomes for children increase when the teachers are highly qualified. While policymakers and economists agree on the importance of teacher preparation, reforms are difficult due to our existing economy. The author recognizes the challenges the recommendations pose to both higher education institutions and the students and offers a number of suggestions to tackle some of those challenges. I specifically appreciated her implication that today’s early childhood students are juggling family, work and education. As faculty, I can make a difference in the educational and work lives of my students but I may have to be much more creative to accomplish that!
Deborah J. Norris (2010): Raising the Educational Requirements for Teachers
in Infant Toddler Classrooms: Implications for Institutions of Higher Education, Journal of Early
Childhood Teacher Education, 31:2, 146-158. Retrieved September 30, 2010 from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10901021003781221
Sara A. S. Sherwood & Stuart Reifel (2010): The Multiple Meanings of Play:
Exploring Preservice Teachers' Beliefs About a Central Element of Early Childhood Education, Journal
of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 31:4, 322-343. Retrieved September 30, 2010 from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10901027.2010.524065
Hi Teri:
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your commitment to play for young children. Too often, we see a push for academics in hopes of preparing children for school. But, as practitioners we need to constantly remind others that children practice new skills through play and it supports school readiness just as much as academics, if used in a purposeful environment with intentional activities.
LouAnn Rhodes