I have been reviewing the website for the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators. There is a links page on their website that leads to a number of organizations that support teacher educators including the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education. The page also includes links to early childhood organizations such as NAEYC and the Association for Childhood International (ACEI). I chose to follow the link for ACEI and explored several areas of their website. Of particular interest is “The Decade for Childhood” (2012-2022). During this time, the global early childhood community will seek to answer three pertinent questions:
· What is our view of the human being and how does that affect our view of childhood?
· Have changes in child-rearing practices and societal expectations of children served children well or contributed to a decline in their overall well-being?
· What supports children—and ultimately all of us—in creating strong relationships, a healthy environment, and opportunities for lifelong growth and learning; and how do we make these a normal part of every child's life?
I have subscribed to the NAECTE newsletter but it is published quarterly so I have not received an update recently. This organization does not have much information regarding equity beyond issues already documented related to teacher education. However, following some of the links has led me to international websites such as UNICEF and ACEI.
Teri:
ReplyDeleteI want to learn more about "The Decade for Childhood." I think one of the unintended consequences of business looking at early education is children just being viewed as future human capital. In addition to academics, we need to be supporting them in becoming well-rounded human beings. We need to teach them to care for one another and the world. So, the question about defining what it is to be a human being and how it affects our view of childhood is very intriguing.
Thank you for sharing,
LouAnn Rhodes
Hi Teri: I enjoyed your post. I think I also subsricbed to this newsletter. This organization was one that interested me in the beginning of this course. I got sidetracked as I have found very valuable information at www.nieer.org. You should check it out. It is well organized and lots of journal articles on several different topics. I was glad to read about this organization also. I am looking forward to the newsletter and finding out more about it. Tracy
ReplyDelete