Ethical Responsibilities to Children:
P-12 – We shall care for and educate children in positive emotional and social environments that are cognitively stimulating and that support each child’s culture, language, ethnicity, and family structure.
This is my guiding principle! Everything that I do professionally is grounded in knowledge that what is do is right for all children and their families.
I-3C.4 – To encourage and support continual development of employees in becoming more skilled and knowledgeable practitioners.
My professional responsibilities include managing a professional development program that offers 800+ hours of training per year to professionals in my community, including a 9-month CDA program. Additionally, as an adjunct faculty member at our local community college, I am continuously involved in the education and development of new professionals. To say that I eat, sleep and breathe professional development would be an understatement!
Ethical Responsibilities to Colleagues:
I-4.1 – To provide the community with high-quality early childhood care and education programs and services.
Professionally, I manage a child care resource and referral program so it is my responsibility to ensure that the communities our program serves are receiving quality services. The mission of my program is, “To improve the quality of early care and education in our community.”
Do you find( in relation to your comments on NAEYC I-4.1)that it is difficult to educate your community on what a quality program should look like? While many of our community are aware of the quality of our program and the significance of us being NAEYC accredited, other community members think we are the "crazy center" because we are child directed and play based.
ReplyDeleteIt is great that you offer so much professional development. I am very lucky to work in a district that believe that professional development is a key aspect of having highly qualified teachers. I am excited to get to go an Infant and Early Childhood conference in May.
ReplyDeleteI am glad to know committed professionals such as yourself that are committed to continued education and making a difference in the lives of the children and families you serve.
ReplyDeleteThat's why I think it would be a great idea if we create a early childhood newsletter; and place all these wonderful ideas, code of enthics, children rights and other important information/resources. It can help our parents be aware of things around their communities and the early childhood world. What you guys think? :-D
ReplyDeleteI think it is wonderful that you provide as many professional development opportunities with in your program, as a new teacher in the field of education I am always looking for new professional development opportunities and I have been lucky that the district that I work in, values professional development and encourage their staff to also seek professional development outside of what they provide. They also for $200 in professional development cost for each of their teachers in each grade level every year! I feel very lucky!
ReplyDelete