Professional and Interpersonal Behavior
4. We shall serve as advocates for children with disabilities and their families and for professionals who serve by supporting both policy and programmatic decisions that enhance the quality of their lives.
In my community, I’ve worked with others to create a program called, “Pathways to Inclusion”. This is a training series (30 hours) focused on giving practitioners the tools they need to provide care for children with special needs in a full-day child care setting. This is something that has become near and dear to my heart!
Professional Collaboration
2. We shall honor and respect the rights, knowledge, and skills of the multidisciplinary colleagues with whom we work recognizing their unique contributions to children, families, and the field of early childhood special education.
I spend my work days collaborating with other community members. Just this week I have interfaced with our local health department, a school superintendent, center directors, teachers, parents, career technology school staff, and our local Children and Family First Council. Collaboration is the key to providing early care and education services in any community and it is critical to my professional success!
Responsive Family Centered Practices:
4. We shall empower families with information and resources so that they are informed consumers of services for their children.
I respect the need to recognize parents as their child’s first and most important teacher. As such, it is my professional responsibility to help keep them informed. In my work, I do this by communicating community resources to child care centers and family child care providers and when I provide parents with child care referrals.
Teri - I enjoyed your thoughts on becoming an advocate through your inclusion program. It sounds very interesting. I wish my community had a program like that!
ReplyDelete