Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Connections to Play

Quotes on the Importance of Play:
“It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital connection between them.”      Leo F. Buscaglia
 
“Nothing lights up a child’s brain like play.”    Stuart Brown, MD
“Perhaps it is part of the genius of childhood to integrate play and imagining into one seamless activity.  A way in which the life of our minds and our bodies are in dialogue with each other.”     Richard Lewis
“When we appreciate the important role play serves in a child’s learning about self and world, we give children the time and opportunity to engage in the self-initiated play that is the surest way for them to fully realize all of their intellectual, emotional and social potential.”     David Elkind, PhD

The outdoors was my playground!
Supporting My Play:
As a child, play was my world from dawn to dusk and summertime was the absolute best!  My parents, especially my mom, gave my brother and me the freedom to explore our world and the biggest responsibility we had was to have fun and stay safe.  (Somehow, my brother missed the stay safe part..he kept breaking his arm!)  We were outside from breakfast until dinner with periodic stops in for drinks or snacks.  Our entire neighborhood was our playground!  All of the neighbors were friends and the adults looked out for each other’s children. 
Play was an integral part of my childhood.  My family did a lot of camping and some of my fondest memories are of exploring beaches, mountains and camp grounds with my brother.  I remember the silly car games we played when travelling from place to place.  We spent one summer camping for two months and I remember the ongoing game of Rummy my dad and I had; what great conversations we had over the cards!  When we were home, I loved riding my bike, roller skating and skate boarding.  On quieter days, my Barbie dolls had wonderful parties with my friends’ Barbie dolls.  On days when I needed to be alone, I buried myself in Nancy Drew and Bobsey Twin books.  The best part was knowing that I could do anything I wanted to (within reason of course)!
My bike was my "ride" to a friend's house, choir practice,
school or a ball game..mom did not need to be
my transportation!
Today’s Play:
The play of my childhood was open, flexible, creative, never-ending.  Interestingly, I just asked my 17 year-old son what his definition of play would be and he said, “Imagination” and went on to describe the creative play of his 5 year-old half-sister.  I think play for young children is similar to the play of my childhood.  Perhaps the toys are more sophisticated and need less imagination to be played with.  However, as children get older they seem to become much more involved in technology and computer use.  There is much less active play today than when I was younger.  Children do not engage in the outdoor games of my youth such as Mother, May I, Red Light, Green Light or Red Rover. 
Their outdoor play tends to revolve more around organized sports like soccer, t-ball, or gymnastics. 
The world of childhood has changed considerably over the years.  Children are frequently over-scheduled, parents are balancing work and home like never before and neighborhoods are not as safe as they used to be.  Children need “unscheduled time for creative growth, self-reflection and decompression” (Ginsburg, 2006, p. 185).  In fact, “for some children, this hurried lifestyle is a source of stress and anxiety and may even contribute to depression” (Ginsburg, 2006, p. 185).  Factor in the amount of time children spend indoors on computers, playing video games or watching television and it’s a recipe for disaster!
My first pair of "shoe skates" were my pride and joy!
Adult Play:
I never gave much thought to an adult’s need to play because play is not the word I would usually use.  For me, play is about relaxation; a time to get away from the pressures of work, school and caretaking.  As an adult, I do relax (play) but I certainly do not do it as often as I should.  In my world, play is a weekend at my camper reading a really good book, a marathon game of Monopoly with my children, a quiet walk with my husband or watching a movie.  I recognize how important all of these activities are to my own well-being.  As I write this, I am sitting at my camper in the middle of the woods.  What a paradox … this is my adult playground and I am working on a computer!


Ginsberg, K. (2007). The importance of play in promoting healthy development and maintaining strong parent-child bonds. Pediatrics, 119(1), 182–191. Retrieved from http://www.aap.org/pressroom/playfinal.pdf










6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about your memories of play. I love that the outdoors were your playground. I also love that you have memories with your dad. I fear that too many children do not associate play with activities with any of their parents now a days. I fear this will soon diminish more! What great memories to have! I also agree with you as to how play transitions into adulthood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri,cute roller skates. I had forgotten about those. When I was 5 or 6 there was a traveling roller rink that had come to town, it was so fasinating to me to be able to skate all over this huge floor. My older uncles taught me how to skate and took me every day until the rink moved on to another town.That was the good ole days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri,

    We have two out of three childhood play items in common! I, too, rode my bike everywhere. I lived on a cul-de-sac and a quiet road. There were no safety concerns back then about riding in the road and anywhere in the neighborhood that we wanted. Also, I posted a picture of grass. Although it is onion grass and I made perfume out of it, we played in the grass and all over the neighborhood everyday. Rain or shine we were outside making up some kind of game and often making a mess. But all the while, we were learning!

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Teri:

    Isn't funny how many of us remember the same things about play. I think of my favorite riding toy and bike as well has free play outside. Do you wonder what the next generation will remember about their play? Will it include fun memories, friends, and family or will it be of organized events, sports practice, and t.v. screens?

    By the way, I love the pick bike? Any change that was your actual bike from childhood? I would be envious you still have it, if it is.

    LouAnn Rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pictures. I used to love roller skating as a child. I could play outdoors all day. There is nothing like the outdoors to spark up some learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My backyard was my playground too. It is funny how so many of us remember the freedom to go from sun - up to sundown with out fear, or concern. We played with joyful abandon :)

    ReplyDelete