I have two amazing biological children, ages 14 and 17. I also have a 21 year old step-daughter. With both of my children, I had easy pregnancies, never a moment of morning sickness! In fact, I’ve often said that I was at my healthiest when I was pregnant. I was induced for both deliveries, once because I conned the doctor and the other time, the doctor conned me! After all the work of labor, I distinctly remember holding my son (the oldest) for the first time. I had a very real, physical shift in priorities. I remember thinking that my life was no longer about me; it was about this tiny little baby I was holding. I remember being afraid that I wouldn’t get it right, that I was not going to be a good mother. Here we are, 17 years later and I have a son I couldn’t be prouder of! Somehow, I managed to do get it right!!!
I chose this example because I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone else describe the feeling I had that day. I have told this story a million times and women always agree that their priorities changed but they don’t describe anything as “real” as what I recognized that day.
I think child birth can have negative or positive impacts on child development depending upon the mother’s experience. Certainly negative experiences might lead to postpartum depression which in turn puts the mother/child relationship at risk. Our text cited two studies that indicate bonding right after birth is not necessary for strong attachment. This completely goes against my grain! I am a strong advocate for immediate bonding experiences such as nursing, holding and talking to a newborn.
I chose to learn about childbirth in the Aboriginal cultures of Australia. In this culture, childbirth is strictly for women. The pregnant mother sets up a camp for herself when she begins labor. She may or may not be attended to by other women related to her. The baby is typically delivered from a squatting position. Once she delivers the baby, the mother holds the umbilical cord and begins saying names. Whatever name she is saying at the time the afterbirth is delivered is the name the child is given. (This is a huge contrast to us; we agonize over names for months!) The father keeps his distance until the mother is ready to present the baby. After about eight days, once the mother’s body has healed, she presents her baby to the father.
The Aboriginal delivery is vastly different from the experiences I had. My children were both delivered in hospitals with their father, nurses, obstetricians and other hospital staff right there. There is something to be said for the simplicity of it all! My insight is that the birthing experience and culture may be polar opposites but the child develops the same way no matter what part of the world they live in!
Wow. That is very interesting. I can't believe a father would wait 8 days to see his baby. I much prefer our way of doing things. I have read that sometimes a stressful delivery can predict outcomes in some children. It would be interesting to know if this is a calmer experience and if the babies would respond better. What would they do if there was a problem with the baby or mother? Very interesting. I liked your comment about they still develop the same way. Interesting
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteFirst I would like to say how I oh so envy you for not having morning sickness. With my first daughter I had the worst morning sickness ever and I am currently pregnant now and just now, got over the morning sickness. You are so right when you say there is no experience than giving birth. Only a woman who has can completely understand that feeling.
I can't imagine giving birth squatting. It doesnt seem very comfortable at all. After giving birth I don't think I could chant names until I came up with one. Thanks for sharing!
Hello,
ReplyDeleteThank you for being so honest and open about your birthing experience. I remember when I got my daughter home from the hospital I cried. I had babysat for years and worked with children, but I was so scared I would do something wrong! It is amazing how women can all connect in some way after giving birth. I know a name is so important to a mother, it was very interesting how the mothers in native Australia chant one right after birth.
Alissa
Hi Terri:
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. There is no greater responsibility than guiding, protecting, and caring for those little lives. I would be more concerned about someone who did not feel those fears. I also wonder if it can't play into the feelings that are a part of post-postpartum depression.
Your research on the Aboriginal people of Australia makes me think of a story I heard about a 'silent birth.' I can't remember what culture follows this practice. However, my understanding is that it is not the mother who remains quiet but the others in the room provide silence and remain calm and peaceful. The thought is that it allows the mother to remain at ease and the baby to enter the world under less stress.
I totally agree that your priorities change when you bring a child into this world. I know mine did. I don't want to seem critical, but the popular culture today doesn't seem to hold this view. Many young parents today do not see the impact their choices have on their children.
ReplyDeletePriorites, feelings, schedules: everything changes when you have a baby. I do not think that there are words to describe how you feel when that baby is delivered. I have four and had a really different feeling everytime. And then I got to hold my youngest granddaughter when she was 40 minutes old. There are no words for that!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey Teri!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou all have great child birthing experiences and I pray someday I can share a beautiful story to you all as well. Hat's off to you my girl!
Happy Mother's Day Teri!! :-)
Terri,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you completely that bonding directly after birth is very important! My first child was born with breathing complications so she was wisked away before we could have that experience. Three days later when I tried to nurse it was a very difficult experience. I kept at it but eventually gave up when she was a month old. With my subsequent children I had a very positive nursing experience.