Child Rights International Network (http://www.crin.org/organisations/index.asp):
Established in 1995, Child Rights International Network is a
global network that monitors children’s rights around the world. The organization sponsors the United Nations’
Non-governmental organization for the Convention on the Rights of the
Child. They waged “A successful campaign
for a resolution to appoint a Special Representative to the UN Secretary General
on Violence against Children” (CRIN, n.d.) which ensures children’s rights are forefront
the on the UN agenda. In addition to
focusing on children’s rights, the Child Rights International Network also monitors
issues such as global child labor, children without parental care, sexual
exploitation of children, and a number of other areas (CRIN, n.d.). The CRIN website boasts a network of more
than 2,100 worldwide organizations. One
of their values that interests me is a belief that “civil society, grass roots
activists and children all have the right to participate and express themselves
freely and openly in all matters affecting them” (CRIN, n.d.).
For such a powerful organization, Child Rights International
Network operates with a very small staff of eight individuals. They do have a nine-member Board of
Trustees. There are no job opportunities
posted on the website but what an amazing organization this would be to work
with. Their website demonstrates their
passion for equity for children globally.
I imagine an employee (depending upon the position) would need to have a
sound understanding of world issues effecting children, be willing to speak to
very large groups, understand the governmental structure of many countries and
have a very strong desire to impact systemic change for all children.
World Organization for Early Childhood Education (OMEP) (http://www.omep.org.gu.se/):
The World Organization for Early Childhood Education is a
non-government, non-profit international organization that “defends and
promotes the rights of the child to education and care worldwide and supports
activities which improve accessibility to high quality education and care”
(OMEP, n.d., para. 2). Based in Sweden,
the organization can be found in more than 60 countries and holds membership
with both UNESCO and UNICEF. Their work on
behalf of the world’s children focuses on several areas including promoting ECE
related studies and research, organizing international conferences, publication
of the International Journal of Early Childhood, encouraging the training of
ECE professionals and family education.
Current work of members is a advocating for early childhood
to be prioritized in the Post-Millennium-Development Goals. “These goals, to be called the Sustainable
Development Goals, are being developed now and will guide local, national, and
global decisions from 2015 to 2030. If we do not succeed in convincing the
world leaders that ECEC is critical for individual children and all the
societies in which they live – if we do not convince them NOW – we will have to
wait 15 more years” (OMEP, n.d., para. 6).
The goals referenced are being developed by members of the United
Nations.
I am incredibly impressed with the World Organization for
Early Childhood Education. Leadership appears
to be made up of faculty from some of the world’s most prominent
universities. While I could not locate
information about employment with OMEP, what an amazing opportunity it would be
working towards goals that will impact our field for the next 15 years. Again, I imagine someone working for OMEP
would have to possess knowledge, skills and understanding related to the world
political scene, how early childhood is structured around the world and have
excellent reading, writing, research and presentation skills.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) (http://www.ibo.org/general/who.cfm):
This organization operates schools serving children aged
3-19 in 144 countries. I became
interested because I recently learned that Kent State University (my alma
mater) has received certification as the only university in the world whose
early childhood graduates (Bachelors and Masters degrees) are certified to work
in any Early Childhood IB program worldwide!
I think that’s pretty exciting and this just gives me one more reason to
be proud to be affiliated with Kent State.
The IB website lists literally hundreds of teaching and
administrative positions at their 3,480 schools worldwide. Certainly, each position has different
educational and experiential requirements.
If I were younger, I would strongly consider applying to teach oversees. I think it would be a really exciting
opportunity!
Education, W. O. (n.d.). World Organization for
Early Childhood Education. Retrieved from World Organization for Early
Childhood Education: http://www.omep.org.gu.se/
National
Association for the Education of Young Children. (1993, November). A
Conceptual Framework for Early Childhood Professional Development.
Retrieved from National Association for the Education of Young Children:
http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSCONF98.PDF
Network, C.
R. (2012). About CRIN. Retrieved from Child Rights Information Network:
http://www.crin.org/about/index.asp
World
Organization for Early Childhood Education. (n.d.). Newsletter 55.
Retrieved from World Organization for Early Childhood Education:
http://www.omep.org.gu.se/news/Words_from_the_World_President/no-55/
I have never hear of these organizations but they sound wonderful. I will be reading up on each of them. The more information we can get on groups that are helping children the better. Thank you for such a informative blog.
ReplyDeleteTeri,
ReplyDeleteI believe I heard about organization OMEP but the others or new to me. I believe the organizations are great resources that other early childhood professionals can utilize in their field and help give them ideas for many things. I really appreciate you sharing your resources. I will paste them in my toolkit because you never know when they can be used.
Teri, i have not heard of these organizations either. What great resources you found. I too will look them up and add to my resource binder.
ReplyDelete